The following are lenses that have the requisite specification to autofocus on the D40, D40X, and D60. They are ordered by focal length.
At this moment the list is not complete.
- AF-S DX ED 10-24mm 1:3.5-4.5G
- AF-S DX ED 12-24mm 1:4G IF
- AF-S ED 14-24mm 1:2.8G IF
- AF-S DX ED 16-85mm VR 1:3.5-5.6G IF
- AF-S ED 17-35mm 1:2.8D IF
- AF-S DX ED 17-55mm 1:2.8G IF
- AF-S DX ED 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G
- AF-S DX ED 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G II
- AF-S DX VR 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G
- AF-S DX ED 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF
- AF-S DX VR ED 18-105mm 1:3.5-5.6G
- AF-S DX ED 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6G IF
- AF-S DX VR ED 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6G IF
- AF-S DX VR ED 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6G II IF
- AF-S ED 24-70mm 1:2.8G IF
- AF-S ED 24-85mm 1:3.5-5.6G IF
- AF-S VR ED 24-120mm 1:3.5-5.6G IF
- AF-S ED 28-70mm 1:2.8D IF
- AF-S DX 35mm 1:1.8G
- AF-S 50mm 1:1.4G
- AF-S DX ED 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G
- AF-S DX VR ED 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G IF
- AF-S Micro ED 60mm 1:2.8G IF
- AF-S VR ED 70-200mm 1:2.8G IF
- AF-S VR ED 70-200mm 1:2.8G II IF
- AF-S VR ED 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G IF
- AF-S ED 80-200mm 1:2.8D IF
- AF-S DX VR Micro ED 85mm 1:3.5G IF
- AF-S VR Micro ED 105mm 1:2.8G IF
- AF-S VR ED 200mm 1:2G IF
- AF-I ED 300mm 1:2.8D IF
- AF-S VR ED 300mm 1:2.8G IF
- AF-S ED 300mm 1:4D IF
- AF-S VR ED 300mm 1:4G IF
- AF-I ED 400mm 1:2.8D IF
- AF-S ED 400mm 1:2.8D IF
- AF-S ED 400mm 1:2.8D IF II
- AF-S VR ED 400mm 1:2.8G IF
- AF-I ED 500mm 1:4D IF
- AF-S ED 500mm 1:4D IF
- AF-S ED 500mm 1:4D IF II
- AF-S VR ED 500mm 1:4G IF
- AF-I ED 600mm 1:4D IF
- AF-S ED 600mm 1:4D IF
- AF-S ED 600mm 1:4D IF II
- AF-S VR ED 600mm 1:4G IF
Nikon Lens Nomenclature
- AF-S = The lens contains a stand-alone ultrasonic focus motor, which enables fast and quiet autofocus operation on the D40 series.
- AF-I = The lens contains a stand-alone focus motor which enables autofocus operation on the D40 series. This type is rarely seen.
- DX = Denotes a lens that functions only on APS-C (or "cropped") DSLR.
- VR = Vibration Reduction, a system used to compensate for vibration and other camera movement.
- D = The lens is fitted with a computer that tells the camera the distance at which it is focused, to allow for better exposure calculation.
- G = The lens is not fitted with an aperture ring, and is thus incompatible with most older Nikon bodies. All G-type lenses are also D-type (see above).
- IF = The lens utilises an Internal Focus mechanism, which provides faster focus and does not cause the lens to change length.
- ED = Indicates that the lens is fitted with Extra-Low Dispersion glass, which aids in greatly reducing chromatic aberration and flare.
- 4.5mm 1:2.8 EX DC HSM
- 10mm 1:2.8 EX DC HSM
- 10-20mm 1:3.5 EX DC HSM
- 10-20mm 1:4-5.6 EX DC HSM
- 12-24mm 1:4.5-5.6 EX DG ASPHERICAL HSM
- 14mm 1:2.8 EX
- 17-35mm 1:2.8-4 EX DG ASPHERICAL HSM
- 17-70mm 1:2.8-4.5 DC HSM MACRO
- 18-50mm 1:2.8 EX DC HSM MACRO
- 30mm 1:1.4 EX DC HSM
- 50mm 1:1.4 EX DG HSM
- 50-150mm 1:2.8 APO EX DC HSM
- 50-500mm 1:4-6.3 APO EX DG HSM
- 70-200mm 1:2.8 APO EX DG HSM MACRO
- 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 DG MACRO "With Built-in Motor"
- 100-300mm 1:4 APO EX DG HSM
- 150mm 1:2.8 APO EX DG HSM MACRO
- 180mm 1:3.5 APO EX DG IF HSM MACRO
- 120-300mm 1:2.8 APO EX DG HSM
- 300-800 1:5.6 APO EX DG HSM
Wide To Short Telephoto Zooms
- 10-24mm 1:3.5-4.5 SP AF DI-II (Announced)
- 17-50mm SP AF XR Di-II LD (A16NII)
- 28-75mm f/2.8 SP AF XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)(A09NII)
General Purpose Zooms
- 18-200mm AF XR Di-II (A14NII)
- 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 AF Di-II LD Aspherical Macro NII
- 70-300mm AF Di LD Macro (A17NII)
- 90mm 1:2.8 SP AF Di MACRO Model 272E
Wide Angle Zooms
- 12-24 1:4